Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Ikaria Experiment: Day 1

It's more than just what the title suggests... I set out yesterday with a different mindset than usual. I was determined not to let the little things get to me, be relaxed about time and enjoy socializing a little more than usual. This is all easy to do on a weekend. I actually felt like I was on vacation. At one point I awoke from a nap to the sound of 6pm church bells as reality slowly set in from an actual dream of being in a Tuscan villa. Talk about relaxed.

I started off my morning with quick run followed by breakfast. I had two slices left over from an artisan loaf of whole grain bread with date honey, mixed nuts, olives, 6oz of goats milk and a cup of boiled sage leaf tea. I took my time and sipping and nibbling, enjoying and appreciating the complimentary flavors of the food in front of me.



I encountered my first obstacle when I realized I didn't have anyone to eat and socialize with, but I took that opportunity for 'me' time, to sit and think about nothing and just listen to the birds and street sounds outside. 

After breakfast I cleaned the dishes, put in a load of laundry and hopped in the shower. I had not looked at the time since getting up.  

After my shower I meandered down to the grocery store to pick up a few bottles of water and some flour. I stopped to talk to my neighbor and even chatted a little with the cashier. I'm typically an earphones-in, I'm-not-here-to-talk kind of gal, but I made it a point to be different today. I walked the mile back to my apartment in the heat with 4 liters of water and a pound of flour and it felt great. 
Going into this Ikarian/Blue Zones/Get Healthy/Get In Touch With Life week, I knew I wanted to challenge myself in the kitchen. The two pieces of bread above were my last store bought slices- I am here on out making my own bread. 

For any fellow beginner bread makers: 
1. It's really so much easier, and more fun, than you'd think.
2. Start easy like I did. Try pita, and then soda bread. Once those have been mastered we can move on to leavened bread. 
3. For pita, see this recipe.
4. For soda bread, see this recipe.

I made soda bread using the above recipe. 
It turned out great, and was so easy that it makes me super excited to add yeast next time.

 Perfect with olive oil, goat cheese or honey. 

While it was cooking I made myself a greek salad and sat outside to eat it with a glass of (diluted) wine. 

  • Spinach
  • Tomato
  • Olives
  • Red Onion
  • Goat Cheese
  • Parsley 
  • Generous olive oil and lemon as dressing. 
Despite being diluted, the wine, sun and exercise had me ready for a nap. I took the bread out to cool, laid down on my bed with the window open and was asleep in no time. 
As I mentioned above, I awoke to the sound of church bells and felt like I was vacationing in Europe without a care in the world. Glorious. 

I began preparing my lunch for Monday- Ikarian Soufiko.



  • 1 eggplant (chopped)
  • 1 zucchini (chopped)
  • 1 large tomato (chopped)
  • large handful of parsely, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 large onion (chopped)
  • 1 green or red bell pepper
 Pour olive oil onto the pan and add in the veggies. Top with a bit of salt and more olive oil. Steam on low head for about 20 minutes.
 
The picture above was from my first trial, so I only made a little. Once I figured out what I was doing I actually made like 3 times as much as what's above.

Some things to note:
1. it is possible to use too much olive oil
2. make sure it's a low heat so the olive oil never smokes
3. allow this dish time to let it cook- not temperature,
4. salt to taste. actually taste it as you add. not too much.




I packed this away in two containers sure to last me Monday and Tuesday's lunch. 

I even had enough left over for a light dinner that night, paired, of course, with some hearty home made bread. When my other half came home from work I treated him to a set table, warm food, a glass of wine, music and a huge smile. After dinner we took a walk and soaked in the summer air.

Day 1...success.

No comments:

Post a Comment