Monday, June 22, 2015

Ikaria Experiment - Greek for a week!

The following series of posts are based on a personal experiment I conducted a few years ago for another blog. Since then, I like to "go Greek" at least once a year :) Enjoy!....

 
For a few months now I've been reading in depth about the dietary habits of the world's oldest living people- the Ikarians of the eastern Greek Islands. It all started when I read an article by Dan Buettner in the New York Times about his observations of this unique culture that seems to contribute to Ikarian longevity. (Dan's article HERE.)



 via

        I have since read several other articles, books and websites about Ikaria and my fascination is quickly becoming obsession. I've had fatigued and lazy days in my 20s that Ive claimed to feel 80 years old. Meanwhile, in, Ikaria, citizens into their 80s and 90s are consistently social, physically active, and even intimate. Throughout my research this is what has sparked my obsession; if an 85 year old Ikarian man can dance with his peers after a long day of scaling mountains and picking grapes, why am I so completely devoid of energy after a sedentary day in the office? What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps more importantly,
what are they doing RIGHT in Ikaria?



     Though diet is not the only factor contributing to the island's health and wellness, I believe it is what facilitates each and every other healthy habit they have. Simply put- it all starts with food... food that gives energy, releases endorphins, is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, promotes relaxation and healthy sleep cycles and reduces stress. This is breakfast, lunch and dinner, respectively. This is how our bodies want to eat and this is a lifestyle I plan to emulate for a month.

     Thanks to this article over at Traditionally Me, Dan Buettner's findings about the traditional Ikarian diet have been summarized. 



 via


     As I mentioned above, the day begins with food that gives energy and releases endorphins. Breakfast is a meal that is rich in protein and carbohydrates:

"A typical day might begin with a spoonful of honey. It is seen as a tonic. After that comes a breakfast of one optional glass of wine, goat’s milk or goat yogurt, sage tea or coffee, honey, and heavy naturally-soured sourdough bread made with whole grains."

A plant based lunch is stocked full of antioxidants and polyphenols:

"A late afternoon lunch is usually a large meal consisting of perhaps another glass of wine, some kalamata olives, wild greens, plenty of potatoes, beans, or lentils, more heavy sourdough bread, and perhaps some hummus. A sunset snack with friends for Ikarians is a cup of herbal tea and one glass of wine."

Finally, the day ends lightly with a small meal which promotes relaxation and healthy sleep cycles and reduces stress. 

"Dinners consist primarily of only whole grain sourdough bread, goat’s milk, and a glass of wine. If they add anything else to this meal, it is merely some fish twice a week, or a bit of goat or pork five times a month. After a dinner with friends, a dance to traditional Greek music is not uncommon."

 via

Some important lifestyle factors that are important to consider and take part in include:
  • Exercise, walking or hiking for at least an hour per day
  • Spending time outside
  • Napping and getting enough rest
  • Laid back approach to time (Ikarians rarely wear watches)
  • Community and Family Values
  • Gardening
 Tomorrow I will post a grocery list, meal plan and daily schedule for my transition to a more "Ikarian" lifestyle. 

Keep in mind that I work a 9-5, just like many of you, and my job is very demanding. I was encouraged when I read that many Ikarians also have full time jobs unrelated to farming, cooking or gardening as well. If they can do it...I can do it!

Join me this week on my lifestyle journey to Ikaria! Stay tuned for more tomorrow ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!!This is a very detailed and useful sight! Thanks again for sharing!
    You can also visit for daily health tips

    ReplyDelete